Parades and parties may be canceled, but that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate the holiday! Lucky for us, fireworks are a great social-distanced activity to do with your loved ones. Read on to find a firework show near you.
Fireworks | Adventureland
July 3-4 @ 9:30 PM
Fireworks| Prairie Meadows
July 3 @ 8:00-10:00 PM
Fireworks | Grimes Sports Complex
July 4 @ 10:00-11:00 PM
Fireworks| Walker-Johnston Park
July 4 @ 10:00-11:00 PM
Fireworks | Centennial Park
July 4 @ 9:30 PM*
*Fireworks follow special skydiver demonstration at 8:00 PM
West Des Moines:
Fireworks | West Des Moines City/School Campus
July 4 @ 9:15 PM
Whether BBQ is your go-to or you are looking for a change in pace, here are five recipes you should try out this holiday.
Marinated Chicken & Onion Kebabs
Yields 4-6 Servings | 55 Minutes
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 11 pieces (1 ½ inch each)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 4 pieces of flatbread
1. Combine yogurt, garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, lemon zest and juice, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to combine. Let marinate 15 minutes.
2. Heat grill to medium. Once hot, clean, and lightly oil grill grates. Thread chicken and onions onto six large skewers. Grill, turning occasionally until chicken is cooked through and onion is just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Grill flatbread until lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side.
3. Serve kebabs and flatbread.
Green Beans with Crispy Chickpeas
Yields: 4-6 Servings | 30 Minutes
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tsp. whole coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- Grilled lemons, for serving
1. Heat grill to medium. Combine chickpeas, coriander, cumin, and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium cast-iron skillet. Place skillet on grill and cook chickpeas, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and coriander begins to pop, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl; reserve skillet.
2. Add green beans and remaining tablespoon olive oil to reserved skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning once, until charred and barely tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss green beans with chickpea mixture and serve with grilled lemons alongside.
Classic Potato Salad
Yield: 8 Servings | 40 Minutes
- 2 ¾ lbs. baby Yukon Gold or baby red potatoes (about 2 inches each), scrubbed
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 celery rib, cut into ¼ -inch dice
1. In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water and season the water with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the vinegar and mustard and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the scallions, parsley and celery. Halve the potatoes crosswise and fold them into the dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 4 Servings | 30 Minutes
- 8 oz low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 8 oz Cool Whip topping
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ tsp vanilla
1. Combine yogurt and vanilla. Fold in Cool Whip. Stir just enough until blended.
2. Layer Cool Whip mixture in pint size mason jar: blueberries, Cool Whip, strawberries.
3. Keep layering until you reach top of mason jar. Add last layer of Cool Whip topping and finish with a strawberry.
4. Chill 1 hour before serving.
Red, White, and Blue Wine Spritzer
Yield: 4 Servings | 10 Minutes
- 1 cup simple syrup (1 part sugar plus 1 part water, boiled until dissolved and cooled)
- ½ cup fresh strawberries (sliced in half)
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- club soda or tonic water
- few sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
1. Fill Pitcher with ice and top with berries (save some to place in glasses).
2. Pour in simple syrup and then wine until the pitcher is ¾ full.
3. Top off with club soda or tonic water, stir and serve in ice-filled glasses. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Have a safe and happy 4th!